Login     Sign up
Started own community script coding.. again
Sebastian (@fashawn)
Community posts: 17
View Profile
Send Message

Hi,

currently i'm laughing because JCow made me do coding my own community script, again.
I was a little complaining about how the code from JCow is messy, unsecure and not theme design friendly. And last night i decided to code again my own, how i want it.

Still coding, my simple wishlist right now is:
registration / login class
template engine (using smarty)
database class

Right now you can register accounts, login (of course logout), html and php code are separeted from each other,
each page will have language variables like example:
the profile page will have variables {$profile0}, {$profile1} and so on...

Language files are stored in a seperated directory and via database variables in my case the table is:
"my_settings" > "language" > "en"

So my script looks in the language directory for a file named: "lang_en.php"

In that file we store as many variables for a page as you want, they get later assigned to a smarty variable.

I keep you up to date =)
Greetings
Sebastian

167 months ago
Jumanji (@jumanji)
Community posts: 27
View Profile
Send Message

good luck!

167 months ago
Sebastian (@fashawn)
View Profile
Send Message

[quote=jumanji]good luck![/quote]

Thank you.

I still making a pretty good progress right now.
Cleaned up the user class to became much more secure.
Next thing on my list is profile stuff; like "photo", "where you from", etc..

It's scary how good everything is going. I didn't know that the progress of writing a script like this is not that hard at all. Well still many things to do, the hardest part is still coming =)

See you next time.
Sebastian

167 months ago
Jumanji (@jumanji)
View Profile
Send Message

That sounds good!

167 months ago
Vincent T (@vincent)
Community posts: 298
View Profile
Send Message

If you feel Jcow is far from your needs, it's a good choice to develop a script by yourself.
Good luck!

Just a remind: if you are developing upon Jcow or part of it, you must put Jcow LOGO to the user interface and keep the script Open Source per our CPAL license.
If you are starting a brand new script that all of your own codes, then forget what I say. But I will lock your threads because your posts will not related to Jcow anymore.(per our community agreements)

Thanks.

167 months ago
Sebastian (@fashawn)
View Profile
Send Message

Hi,
Jcow fits my needs for a community script, it's great never said any other statement. Just thought it would be good to write something for it but after a while it's need that easy. Of course the module thing is easy but fixing or cleaning up JCow is huge.

Also i got a question how many developers are programming JCow? I've seen much asian looking comments, are the main staff coming from there?

Doesn't mean that i don't want to help your guys with JCow and your problems or request. If i have time between i write some modules to keep up the good work. Still looking forward to JCow Version 4 =)

Greetings
Sebastian

167 months ago
Jumanji (@jumanji)
View Profile
Send Message

I'd been in elgg,phpizabi,dolphin and SE, for me and base on my experienced JCOW has a lot of potential to become the next great social online script just give it more time to the developers of jcow.

and Im planning to migrate my over 20k members in jcow.
and it really fits my need and i love to use jquery.

167 months ago
Sebastian (@fashawn)
View Profile
Send Message

Yeah i tested most of them too. Most of them are overloaded in the sourcecode. I'm not going after how the product looks at the end, i'm more into the sourcecode, directory / file structure and how it's all done.

The best from the sourcecode and user friendly is SE.
Sad that almost every script or the plugins for it, cost money. Look at Elgg, opensource, don't cost money and has a lot of user submitted plugins and themes.

JCow has a lot, really a lot, potential to be a great community script. The user still need to know that it's not encrypted anymore, so that more developers are making modules for it and fixing stuff. As i said i'm look forward to version 4 of JCow and the platform for the developers =)

Have a nice day :)
Sebastian

167 months ago
Jumanji (@jumanji)
View Profile
Send Message

Yes your right!,I think we have same spirit looking forward for JCOW version 4.

167 months ago
Dum Dum Gratis (@domgratis)
Community posts: 82
View Profile
Send Message

I love jcow... It's easy to edit (for me).

167 months ago
Jumanji (@jumanji)
View Profile
Send Message

indeed!

167 months ago
Vincent T (@vincent)
Community posts: 298
View Profile
Send Message

Hi fashawn, you are free to modify core codes, but I do not recommend this. Because you are making the system more messy and slower, and bring unexpected problems. There are many reasons you don't know for the choosing of current template&language system.
I think the best way you can help Jcow is to submit bug reports and suggestions. Instead of saying "it is unsecure", please point out where is the issue.(of course, if it's a serious bug, you can report via email)
If you like to write your own codes, I'd recommend you to create Jcow modules, which is very easy. There are Doc and sample codes in our Manual.

167 months ago
1 2 Next